Following a long tradition, we are very pleased to inform you that the next European Semiconductor Laser Workshop will be held in Paris, on September 18th & 19th 2014, just before the 40th European Conference and Exhibition on Optical Communication (ECOC) (21-25 Sept. 2014 in Cannes). The workshop will take place at École Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications, Télécom ParisTech. The workshop provides the opportunity for informal discussions about recent advances and achievements in the field of semiconductor laser diodes, related devices and their applications. The workshop is arranged in the form of invited talks, contributed presentations, both oral and poster. We warmly welcome you to attend this workshop and promote fruitful discussions. .
Beside its outstanding technical interest mentioned above, the European Semiconductor Laser Workshop on the Butte-aux-Cailles will be also an unique immersion in the popular historic 19th century Paris, just before diving into the glamour of Cannes. The Butte-aux-Cailles (a name that could be translated into "quail hill", although it originates from its former landowner Pierre Caille, who bought a vineyard here in 1543) is a hilltop located downtown Paris. A now extinct mythic river, the Bièvre (from Latin 'Beaver'), once made this area important for the tannery and tissue trades. Today the Butte-aux-Cailles area assembles a young, trendy and festive Parisian population in its many small bars and restaurants and has managed to retain much of its village ambiance.
The topics of the workshop include but are not limited to:
* Novel material systems, structures, and technologies
* Photonic crystal semiconductor lasers, nanoscale semiconductor lasers
* Lasers on silicon
* Laser physics and modelling
* High power lasers
* Short pulse lasers and mode-locked lasers
* Surface emitting lasers
* Long and short wavelength lasers, e.g. quantum cascade lasers, violet, blue, green, red lasers, frequency doubled lasers
* Lasers for telecommunication
* Laser integrated devices
* Semiconductor optical amplifiers
* All-optical processing using semiconductor lasers and amplifiers
The Organizing Committee.